Shauna Lewis
Nov 22, 2021

Lush departs social media (again) until digital giants clean up their act

Lush departed social media before, back in 2019.

Lush departs social media (again) until digital giants clean up their act

British cosmetics retailer Lush is leaving social media once more, in light of Facebook whistleblower Francis Haugen’s revelations.

The protest spans across Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat, but falls short of Twitter and YouTube. However, the company has ceased asking its customers to interact with its content on those last two channels, saying there is no need to like or subscribe.

Lush said it will return once the platforms provide a “safer environment for their users”, according to a statement. The company is also hoping for strong best practice guidelines and for international regulation to be passed into law.

The policy will be upheld in the 48 countries in which Lush operates.

Lush previously attempted a social media absence on Facebook and Instagram in 2019 over worries about how much control third parties had on its interactions with customers.

Jack Constantine, chief digital officer and product inventor, said: “As an inventor of bath bombs, I pour all my efforts into creating products that help people switch off, relax and pay attention to their wellbeing. Social media platforms have become the antithesis of this aim, with algorithms designed to keep people scrolling and stop them from switching off and relaxing.”

Mark Constantine, Lush's co-founder, chief executive and product inventor, added: “I’ve spent all my life avoiding putting harmful ingredients in my products. There is now overwhelming evidence we are being put at risk when using social media. I’m not willing to expose my customers to this harm, so it’s time to take it out of the mix.

In September 2021, The Wall Street Journal published the first of The Facebook Files: A Wall Street Journal Investigation. Consisting of internal files leaked by whistleblower Haugen, the series of articles argued that Facebook was aware of the harm its algorithm could cause, such as fuelling misinformation, conspiracy theories and negatively affecting the mental health of teenagers.

Source:
Campaign UK

Related Articles

Just Published

5 hours ago

Agency Report Cards 2024: We grade 25 APAC networks

The grades are in for Campaign Asia's 22nd annual evaluation of APAC agency networks. Subscribe to read our detailed analyses.

7 hours ago

Agency Report Card 2024: Assembly

Assembly successfully pivoted to new sectors like healthcare and achieved B Corp certification. But revenue and operational hurdles must be addressed to solidify its position as a challenger agency.

7 hours ago

Agency Report Card 2024: TBWA

With bold campaigns, record-breaking new business wins, and a near-perfect client retention rate, the agency proved it could lead from the front. Yet, challenges in China and the pressures of rapid growth loom large—testing whether its ‘disruption’ can stand the test of time.

7 hours ago

Agency Report Card 2024: Publicis Media

Publicis Media came in swinging in 2024—snagging big-name clients, racking up awards and riding a wave of regional growth. But with rivals regrouping and the AI race tightening, the fight for APAC dominance is far from over.